Terms and Conditions
- Abseiling Experience:
- All abseil bookings are sold subject to these terms and conditions.
1.2 These terms and conditions are important to your visit to the National Lift Tower. Please read these terms and conditions carefully prior to purchase and raise any queries. Purchase of any abseil space constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions on your behalf of any persons for whom you have bought the voucher and you acknowledge and agree that you shall ensure that all persons in your booking are aware of and accept these terms and conditions.
1.3 No booking shall be deemed to be accepted unless accepted in writing (including booking confirmation).
- The National Abseil Team reserves the right to alter or withdraw any package facility, event services or price without notice.
- The National Abseil Team operates “public” abseil days which are open to anyone and “private” abseil days which are arranged exclusively for the individual/organisation making the booking.
- Full payment must be made two weeks prior to the abseil date for all private abseil days, failure to do so will lead to the booking being cancelled. All bookings on public days must be paid in full at the time of reservation to confirm the booking space. No bookings will be taken within 24 hours of the date of the abseil.
- Private full day abseil bookings will cost £4000 with a £1500 deposit to be paid initially and the remaining balance to be paid 2 weeks prior to the date of the booking. This booking allows a maximum of 40 participants, with the option to add an additional 5 participants at the cost of £95 per person.
- Private abseil bookings will cost £4000 with a £1500 deposit to be paid initially and the remaining balance to be paid 2 weeks prior to the date of the booking. This booking allows a maximum of 40 participants, with the option to add an additional 5 participants at the cost of £95 per person.
- A half day private abseil can be booked for the morning at the cost of £2000 with a £1000 deposit to be paid initially and the remaining balance to be paid 2 weeks prior to the date of the booking. This booking allows a minimum of 20 participants, with the option to add additional participants at the cost of £95 per person. Any unfilled sessions will then be open to individual bookings via the website.
- Your booking:
- Only persons with a valid booking will be admitted to the National Lift Tower.
- Please check your details upon receipt of your confirmation. Mistakes may not always be able to be rectified if not addressed immediately.
- Vouchers cannot be used for competitions, promotions, advertising or hospitality or otherwise for commercial gain without prior written permission by the National Abseil Team.
- Requirements to abseil:
3.1 Each climber must be aged 12 years or over. Consent will need to be given by a parent or guardian for anyone under the age of 18.
3.2 There are no height restrictions but there is a maximum weight restriction of 136kg/21stone/299lbs. If you do not meet these criteria you will not be allowed to abseil.
3.4 The abseil is not suitable for anyone who is pregnant.
- Alcohol and substances
- Abseilers must not be under the influence of alcohol or legal or illegal substances which would make it unsafe for them to participate in the abseil or to understand the instructions given by the abseil instructors.
- You will not be allowed to participate if we suspect that you are under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances which we believe would make it unsafe for you to abseil. No refunds will be given in this case.
- Physical Requirements
- Abseiling down the National Lift Tower requires physical exertion to complete the descent. You are required to read the details of the abseil before placing your booking and you acknowledge you have been made aware of the activities involved in the abseil.
- You must be capable of taking part in the abseil unaided. You will be responsible for following the instructions given to you during your safety briefing.
- The forces exerted during the abseil may activate or aggravate pre-existing physical injuries, conditions and symptoms or congenital defects and we shall not have liability whatsoever for the activation or aggravation of any such injuries, conditions, symptoms or defects save where they have been caused by our negligence.
- You are responsible for ensuring that you are in a fit state to participate in the abseil and are able to participate in a manner which will not put at risk your health & safety or the health and safety of bystanders below you and agree that you have made all adults in your booking aware of the same.
- We do not recommend the abseil to anyone with vertigo. We are unable to advise you on medical conditions so if you are in any doubt as to whether or not you are fit to take part we would advise you to consult with a medical professional.
- It is your responsibility to notify us in advance of placing your booking of any special access requirements you may have as we may not be able to accommodate all special access requirements if we have not been made aware of then prior to the date of visit which may result in not being allowed admission without refund. If requested, you agree to provide a certificate of fitness from your General Practitioner or such other medical practitioner as we may reasonably request to confirm that you are in a fit state of health to participate in the abseil.
- If you have any conditions or concerns that may impact your ability to safely complete the abseil which you have not notified us of in advance then you should notify us on the day of your visit. We will use reasonable endeavours to make arrangements to facilitate your abseil, however, taking into account your health and safety and of those around you we reserve the right, without refund, to refuse permission to participate in the abseil if we believe that it would jeopardise your health & safety or that of other participants. Guests are requested to address access requirements in advance of the booking by contacting [email protected] or phoning 07895 784926. We will always endeavour to accommodate special access requirements, due to the nature of abseiling down the Northampton Lift Tower and our obligations to health and safety of all our guests there may be times when we are unable to accommodate your specific needs.
- Risk Acknowledgement and Disclaimer
- You and all members of your party will be required to sign a Risk Acknowledgement and Disclaimer Form on the day of your abseil. You will be required to sign this on your own behalf. Signed consent will need to be given by a parent or guardian for anyone under the age of 18.
- Arrival Time
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the time of your abseil. We aim to have you abseiling approximately 30 minutes after your arrival, however this is not guaranteed. Delays may occur due to a change in weather conditions or the speed at which people descend as this varies from person to person.
- Parking at the site is extremely limited. We ask that both participants and spectators park away from the site and walk in. The parking that is available will be reserved for participants who really need it. Northampton Train Station is on the West Coast Line and should be considered as an alternative where possible.
- The Abseil:
8.1 Abseiling is weather dependent. High winds and thunder and lightning may prevent us from abseiling on the outside of the building. If that happens, we have the right to move the event inside the building where we have an indoor abseil set up that is equivalent to the height of the tower. You will have the chance to do a ‘traditional’ abseil and a ‘free’ abseil which is where you do not have your feet against anything. The option to cancel or reschedule is not available at this point as we are offering an alternative event. If you do not wish to accept the alternative event, please be advised that we will not provide a refund.
During the abseil:
8.2 You will not be permitted to take any loose items with you on the abseil.
8.3 Long hair must be tied back by an elasticated hair band and not with any item which could cause harm or injury if it were to fall off during the abseil. We would prefer long hair to be plaited where possible.
8.4 Fancy dress is permitted in certain circumstances. Please note that outfits should not be loose or baggy so that they can get caught in the abseil equipment and cause a safety issue. Please contact for advice if you are unsure. Specifically no capes may be worn whilst taking part in the abseil.
8.5 You should wear closed toed footwear with flat rubber soles such as trainers, sport and hiking shoes and not shoes with heels. Refusal to wear appropriate footwear will result in you not being allowed to participate.
8.6 You must wear long sleeved garments and full length trousers for your safety. Refusal to wear appropriate clothing will result in not being allowed to participate.
8.7 Participants will be given no longer than 10 minutes to commence their abseil once at the departure point. If another slot is available on the same day we will reschedule the abseil, otherwise it will be cancelled with no refund.
9.1 Smoking is strictly prohibited within the National Lift Tower.
9.2 Spectators are welcome but please advise them that this is a residential area and that we need to be considerate to our neighbours. Please keep noise to a minimum, use the litter bins provided and follow instructions from our marshals. If our marshals are in any way abused by spectators then those people will be asked to leave the site along with the person they have come to support and no refund will be given.
9.3 You will not cause any nuisance, distress, annoyance, fear or concern to any member of staff, other abseiler or visitor to the National Lift Tower by your acts or omissions. Any persons acting in breach of conditions will be immediately ejected from the Tower without refund.
9.4 You will handle all equipment solely as directed by the abseil instructors and you will not remove or interfere in any way whatsoever with the equipment after it has been fitted by the abseil instructors. If you wish to make adjustments to the equipment you must notify the abseil instructor who will be able to assist you.
- In case of emergency you must let the abseil instructors take over if necessary.
- Photography and recording
10.1 CCTV and film cameras are in operation at the National Abseil Centre for the security of our guests and to produce souvenir photos. By purchasing a booking and attending the National Lift Tower you give your express consent to all CCTV filming and to your photograph being taken.
10.2 You further hereby agree that any photographs may be used by us in any and all media for any purpose at any time throughout the world including use in commercial distribution or use for commercial or promotional purposes or the display of all such images without any compensation to you.
10.3 The copyright of all such footage/images shall be owned by the National Abseil Team and may only be used or reproduced by you if you purchase such footage/images and only for private and domestic purposes and not for any commercial purposes.
10.4 Only cameras provided by or belonging to the National Abseil Team will be used as part of the abseil. Abseil participants may not provide their own cameras for use while completing the abseil.
10.5 No photography will be permitted at the abseil platforms. We are however, happy for people to wear their own head/harness cams. We accept no liability for any damage occurred.
- Refunds and Cancellations
11.1 Abseil bookings are subject to a £30 non-refundable charge for any cancellations up to three months in advance of the abseil for each individual slot.
11.2 Within three months of the abseil booking no amendments may be made and cancellations will receive no refund.
11.3 We will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Northampton Lift Tower is open for abseiling on the day of your visit. However, we reserve the right, in our absolute discretion, to close the Northampton Lift Tower abseiling whether for safety reasons or otherwise, including, without limitation as a result of extreme weather conditions or other reasons of Force Majeure, and with or without prior notice to close the Northampton Lift Tower or any part of it.
11.4 If we close the abseiling other than as a result of your acts or omissions the abseil will be rescheduled to a time which you are able to attend or you will be reimbursed if you are unable to attend a rescheduled time. If you are unable to attend an alternative time we shall have no liability to you whatsoever other than to refund the price paid (excluding the non-refundable deposit) for the booking including, without limitation, no liability for travel or accommodation expenses.
11.5 In order to claim your refund you must contact us within 30 days of the cancelled abseil. Refunds will only be given to the person who originally made the booking.
11.6 If a private abseiling day is cancelled or partially cancelled arrangements will be made to reschedule those individuals who did not get chance to abseil. This will be limited to the names of those people due to have abseiled on the date of the cancellation and not by the potential places left at the time of the cancellation. For avoidance of doubt the list of names provided 72 hours in advance of the private abseil will be used to determine who will be rescheduled. Rescheduled private abseil days will be placed onto one day and not split across multiple abseil days. In the event that the rescheduled day is for less than the 40 spaces provided to a charity/organisation the National Abseil Team reserves the right to sell the remaining spaces to members of the public at £100 per space. This will be done in such a way as to not diminish from the day.
11.7 Tickets will not be refunded where: Admission had been refused, you have been ejected and/or the abseil has been closed due to:
(i) Your acts or omissions. (ii) Your failure to adhere to or meet the requirements set out in the terms and conditions. (iii) Breach the terms and conditions or your failure to adhere to the safety rules and policies given to you by our abseil contractors. (iv) You are late for your abseil. (v) You having special access requirements of which you failed to notify us in advance and we are unable to accommodate your requirements on the day of your visit and we reasonably believe that to allow you to participate would jeopardise your health and safety or that of other abseilers. (vi) You decide you do not wish to participate in the abseil due to the weather, where the Northampton Lift Tower is open. (vii) You change your mind about taking part in the abseil once you’ve arrived (viii) Any other grounds where we have previously set out that a refund will not be made.